Recipes › Parsnip Cake
25 - 30 minutes
125g PURE White Teff Flour
125g PURE GF Bakery Blend (Ex Blended Flour)
250g demerara sugar
176g butter/hard margarine
250g parsnips, peeled and grated
1 medium apple, grated (any variety)
1 orange juice and zest
100ml maple syrup
8g/2tsp PURE Baking Powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp mixed spice
4g/1tsp PURE Xanthan Gum
3 eggs, large
50g walnuts, chopped (optional)
3-4 tbs maple syrup
- Pre-heat the oven to 175°C/350°F (160°C if fan- assisted) then grease and line two 20cm round tins.
- Melt the butter, sugar and syrup together in a pan over a gentle heat. Once fully melted allow to cool slightly.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flours, baking powder, Xanthan and spices. A fine whisk is ideal to make sure they are properly blended, otherwise use a metal spoon.
- Whisk the eggs into the melted mixture and then stir in all of the remaining ingredients, including the flour mix.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the two tins and place in the oven.
- Once cooked the tops of the sponges should spring back when lightly touched. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tins.
- Turn the cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, blend the mascarpone and syrup and use this to sandwich the cakes together. Dust the top with icing sugar.