Recipes › Chocolate Fairy Cakes
You can also make plain fairy cakes with this recipe – simply omit the cocoa and increase the flour by 1oz. We also suggest adding a few drops of vanilla essence and then decorate as you wish.
- Fill two bun trays with paper cases.
- In a mixer, or with a wooden spoon, cream the baking margarine and the sugar together until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs, a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the Pure flour and cocoa powder into the mixture and mix on slow speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down and mix for a further 2 minutes on high speed until smooth and glossy.
- Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake at 180°C (350°F) Gas mark 4 until lightly browned and firm to touch.
- Allow to cool slightly before turning out onto a wire rack.
- When fully cool, ice and decorate, and store in an airtight container until required.