Recipes › Chocolate Madeira Cake
1 hour 15 minutes
Serves 10 - 12
This cake is great for decorating and can even be sliced through the middle and filled with buttercream. It keeps really well, has a moist texture, and good chocolatey flavour. We turned ours into a Black Forest Gateau using whipped soya cream and cherries.
- Grease and line the sides and base of a 20cm (8”) round or 18cm (7”) square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Weigh all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat together to form a smooth mixture. Tip into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 for 1 hour 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes. Turn the cake onto a wire rack, remove the lining paper and allow to cool fully before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container.