Recipes › Lemon Shortbread
10 minutes plus 30 minutes to chill
These biscuits are deliciously crisp, light and lemony. If you enjoy the tang of lemon zest then you could grate some into the mixture at stage 2. They can be enjoyed on their own, or you can experiment and dip them in melted chocolate, decorate them for a children’s party, or serve them with ice cream drizzled with fruit sauce for a quick dessert.
150g PURE Multi Purpose Mix
100g butter/hard margarine
50g caster sugar
2 tsp lemon essence/lemon oil
- Weigh the Pure flour and caster sugar into a mixing bowl and stir with a spoon until evenly mixed. Add the lemon oil.
- Rub in the margarine and cake flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then knead it into dough that leaves the sides of the bowl clean.
- The dough can be used immediately but for best results refrigerate the whole mix for at least 30 minutes prior to shaping and baking.
- Use some of the flour to lightly flour your work surface and roll the shortbread mix out. Use a biscuit cutter for plain or fancy shapes, alternatively shape the biscuits by hand. Remember to roll the shortbread out thick, about 1 cm.
- Place onto greased baking sheets and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Transfer onto a wire rack and allow to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.