Recipes › White Bread
25 - 30 minutes
Makes 2 loaves
These loaves can be sliced and frozen once cool and will benefit from a few seconds ‘refresh’ in the microwave when defrosted.
- Weigh out the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add ½ tsp sugar to the water, then stir until dissolved.
- Using either a wooden spoon or an electric mixer mix the flour, water and egg together on a low speed for several minutes. Scrape the bowl down and then continue to mix on a higher speed (or more vigorously if using the spoon) for another 5 minutes until you have a thick smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into two 1lb greased loaf tins (6”x4”x3”) or into a single 2lb loaf tin.
- Cover with a damp cloth or place inside and oiled plastic bag and leave in a warm place to prove for 30 minutes or until level with the top of the tin.
- Glaze with oil (a spray is ideal for this) and bake at 200°C (400°F) Gas 6 for 25 -30 minutes. Turn out onto a wire rack and allow to cool before slicing. Once cool, store in an air tight container and use within 2-3 days.