Recipes › GF Leek & Gouda Quiche
The leek and Gouda in this dish work well together with a little added nutmeg. You donít need to bake the pastry blind; the sides are strengthened and sealed with an egg glaze before cooking.
1. First make the pastry base. Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C Fan/Gas Mark 6.
2. Put the flour, cornflakes, xanthan gum and salt into a food processor with the margarine and pulse until you have a fine crumb.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the yoghurt/soured cream , vinegar and egg yolk with 2 tbsp of water. Add to the flour and margarine mixture, and pulse together well. Remove and knead gently, then chill for 20 minutes.
4. Roll out on a lightly floured surface, then roll onto a rolling pin and line a 23cm tart tin. Prick the base with a fork and bake for 25 minutes to set, then remove from the oven and brush with the beaten egg to seal really well. Use all the egg as GF pastry can be very fragile. Return to the oven for 5 minutes to set the egg, then remove and set aside. Reduce the heat to 180°C/160°C Fan/Gas Mark 4.
5. Now make the filling. Put the milk in a pan over a medium heat, bring to the boil then cool for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the leeks and garlic for 10 minutes. Once softened, strain well to remove any excess moisture, then spread over the cooked pastry base. Sprinkle over the parsley and top with the cheese.
6. Place the quiche on a baking tray. Beat the eggs with the warn milk and nutmeg then season with the salt and pepper. Pour over the cheese to fill the tart. Sprinkle over the crushed cornflakes.
7. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set but with a slight wobble in the centre. Cool slightly before cutting and serving.