Recipes › Orange Madeira Cake
This cake makes a lovely treat for afternoon tea or as part of coffee morning with friends. It has a classic Madeira texture and will be enjoyed by the whole family.
210g PURE Multi Purpose Mix 1Kg
175g butter/baking margarine
250g caster sugar
3 egg, beaten (medium)
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbs orange juice
1 tsp grated orange zest
- Lightly oil and line the sides and base of a 1lb loaf tin (6”x4”x3”).
- Cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add in the tsp of orange zest.
- Slowly beat in the eggs one at a time scraping the mix together after each addition. Add the vanilla essence and the 2tbs of orange juice with the final egg. (If the mixture appears to curdle or separate add a tbsp of multi-purpose flour and keep mixing).
- Add the multi-purpose flour and either fold in by hand until just blended, or mix slowly for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 15-20 minutes. Turn the cake onto a wire rack, remove the lining paper and allow to cool fully before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container.