Recipes › GF Simnel Cake
2 hrs 15 mins
This is a traditional Easter fruit cake. Packed full of moist fruit and spices with a secret sticky marzipan centre. Traditionally topped with 11 marzipan balls to represent the 11 apostles excluding Judas.
90g/3oz glacé cherries, quartered
30g/1oz mixed chopped candied peel
1 tbsp. orange marmalade
Grated zest of one large lemon
175g/6oz soft margarine
175g/6oz light Muscovado sugar
1 tsp ground mixed spice
90g/3oz Pure blended flour
85g/3oz Pure white teff flour
2 tsp Pure sodium bicarbonate
3 eggs, beaten (medium)
¼ tsp Pure Xanthan gum
Filling and topping
500g/1lb almond paste/marzipan apricot jam (warmed)
1 egg white
1. Roll out ⅓ of the marzipan and cut a circle to fit a deep 7” (18cm) round cake tin. Set aside.
2. Grease and line the cake tin then combine all the ingredients* in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
3. Spoon half of the cake mixture into the tin and smooth it over. Place the circle of marzipan on top and then pour in the rest of the cake mixture.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 150°C (300°F) until golden brown and firm to the touch. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes then remove and place on a rack to cool completely.
5. Roll out half of the remaining marzipan and cut a circle as before. Brush the warm jam onto the cake and place the marzipan on top.
6. Divide the remaining marzipan into 11 and roll into balls. Stick them onto the cake using the egg white and then brush the entire top of the cake with egg white.
7. Place the cake under a hot grill for 1-2 minutes until the marzipan is golden brown.
When using a combination of flours and
dry powder ingredients we recommend that
you mix and sift them together before you
start. This helps create an even blend and
guarantees successful results. Use a whisk
to stir them together before sifting.