Recipes › Shortbread
25 - 30 minutes
If you store the shortbread in an airtight container it will keep for several weeks, which makes it an ideal standby for unexpected guests, or even as a thoughtful gift for a friend.
- Lightly grease a 7” round sandwich tin (or equivalent square tin).
- Weigh the flours and sugar together into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the vanilla essence.
- Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. You can use a sharp knife to do this, a fork, or simply by hand between thumb and fingers.
- Bring the mixture into a ball using your hands to gently push it together.
- Either roll the dough into a circle to fit your tin, or gently press it into the tin until it is evenly spread.
- Prick the surface all over with a fork.
- Place in the oven at 170°C/340°F until it is lightly browned and firm to touch. (For fan assisted ovens reduce the temperature to 160°C/320°F).
- Using a sharp knife score the shortbread into fingers or triangles and allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.