Recipes › GF Stuffed Peppers
A great starter or vegetarian main. Mediterranean style peppers stuffed with risotto rice and vegetables.
By Innovative / Coeliac UK
1. Prepare your ingredients before you start by thoroughly washing your vegetables. Slice of the top of the mixed bell peppers and remove the cores and seeds.
2. In a baking pan, place the peppers cut side up. Sprinkle the interior of empty vegetables with a pinch of salt.
3. In a large saucepan, add 3-4 tbsp. olive oil and sauté the onions, until translucent.
4. Add the finely chopped courgettes, sliced mushrooms and chopped garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes until softened over a low/medium heat. Add the rice and continue to sauté.
5. Place 1 ½ tins of chopped tomatoes into a food processor bowl and process until a smooth sauce forms and pour into the saucepan, adding some water when necessary. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Simmer over a low/medium heat until the liquid has been absorbed. As soon as the liquid has been absorbed, the stuffing is ready. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the fresh parsley. Set aside.
7. Fill each pepper loosely with the rice mixture to just below the tops of the peppers and place the potatoes, cut into pieces, in between the peppers.
8. Cover the vegetables with their lids and add 2 glasses of water into the baking pan. In a food processor/blender, place the remaining chopped tomatoes with 2 tbsp. olive oil and sprinkle it on top of each pepper.
9. Cover the tray well with aluminium foil and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C Fan/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for 60-75 minutes. Halfway through cooking time remove the foil and bake until nicely coloured./
10. Serve them warm or cold with large chunks of feta cheese and gluten free bread.
Cooking time: 75 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
By: Coeliac UK
Tip: If you prefer your peppers stuffed with meat, try sizzling 500g beef mince with the onions in step 3. Once the beef juices have been absorbed and the meat is cooked continue with the rest of the ingredients for the filling.