Recipes › Rich Fruit Cake with Teff
Enjoy this cake as it comes or decorate it for a special occasion.
125g/4oz glacÚ cherries
250g/8oz butter/baking margarine
250g/8oz light muscovado (soft brown) sugar
4 eggs, medium
1 tsp ground mixed spice
1 tbs brandy
125g/4oz PURE Gluten-Free Blended Flour
125g/4oz PURE White Teff Flour
2 tsp PURE Bicarbonate of Soda
1 tsp PURE Xanthan Gum
- Cream the butter and sugar together and then gradually add the eggs stirring well after each addition.
- Sieve all of the dry ingredients together and add to the mixture using a wooden spoon or on a slow speed if using a mixer.
- Add the fruit and brandy and stir to ensure an even mixture.
- Grease and line a 9” square cake tin with greaseproof paper and pour the mixture in. Spread it evenly and level the top with a spatula.
- Place in a pre-heated oven at 140oC (or 130oC fan assisted oven), gas mark 1.5. After one hour cover the top of the cake with a square of greaseproof paper to prevent over-browning, and bake for a further 1-1 1⁄2 hours.
- Test the cake with a skewer (it should come out clean from the centre) to ensure it is properly cooked and allow to cool before serving.
To make a round cake you will need a 10” tin and then follow the same method and quantities. If you have some favourite other dried fruit such as currants or cranberries, why not make them part of your mix?