Recipes › Sticky Gingerbread
This gingerbread gets stickier the longer it is left. For best results wrap in greaseproof paper and foil and store in an airtight container for 2 days before eating. You can serve it on its own in slices, or on a cold day, why not try it warm with custard....mmmm!
115g black treacle
115g golden syrup
50g butter/baking margarine
50g vegetable lard
225g PURE Multi Purpose Mix 1Kg
¼tsp PURE Bicarbonate of Soda
1 tsp mixed spice
1 tsp ground ginger
75g dark brown soft sugar
150ml milk (any type)
- Line a 1lb loaf tin or a deep 18cm (7”) square cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Weigh into a saucepan the black treacle, golden syrup, baking margarine and vegetable lard, and heat gently until melted.
- Put the flour, sodium bicarbonate and spices into a bowl and mix in the sugar.
- Make a well in the centre of the bowl and pour in the milk and the melted treacle mix. Beat well until a smooth batter is achieved.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake at 160°C/300°F/Gas Mark 2 until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 1 hour then turn onto a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container