Recipes › Gluten Free Sticky Toffee Cake
A delicious traditional treat with a twist
By Innovative Nadiya Hussain
1. Preheat the oven to 160C fan. Lightly grease an 8in casserole or pie dish.
2. Place the dates, prunes, 250ml boiling water and the bicarbonate of soda in a bowl, then mix and set aside. Once cooled, blitz to a smooth paste.
3. Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and cream together until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually and mix will. Tip in the flour and fold through, along with the milk, until you have a smooth even batter.
4. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30 – 35mins
5. While the cake is cooking, place the butter, sugar, cream and vanilla in a pan and warm through until the butter has melted and the sugar granules have dissolved.
6. Take the cake out of the oven and poke holes all over using a skewer. Pour over the toffee mixture and leave for 15 mins for the sauce to soak into the hot cake. Serve warm with cream, custard or ice cream.
Some people will add extra spices such as ginger, star anise or allspice, but I find the vanilla in the toffee sauce adds all the flavour I need. For me, the richness of the dates and prunes should do all the talking.