- Heat oven to Gas Mark 4/180°C
- Tear the bread into a large mixing bowl and add the fruit, peel and spice.
- Pour in the milk, then stir or scrunch through your fingers to mix everything well and completely break up the bread.
- Add eggs, muscovado and lemon zest. Stir well and then set aside to soak for 15 minutes.
- Butter and line the base of a 20cm non-stick squared cake tin (don’t use one with a loose base).
- Stir the melted butter into the pudding mixture, tip into the tin and then scatter with demerara sugar.
- Bake for 1 ½ hours until firm and golden (cover with foil if it starts to brown too much).
- Turn out of the tin and strip the paper. Cut into squares and serve warm with double cream/custard.
Rub in the margarine and Pure flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.Stir in the sugar, then add the chocolate chips and mix until they are thoroughly coated.Add the vanilla essence and enough water to bind the mix together - be careful, it won’t need...