- Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6. Prepare and grease an ovenproof dish.
- Chop the rhubarb into 3cm pieces, halving any thicker pieces lengthways and toss with the sugar and cornflour. Add the rhubarb to the prepared dish. Alternatively you can leave the rhubarb to stand for 10-15 min before draining it and added to the prepared dish.
- To make the crumble, cube the butter and toss with the flour. Cut into the flour with a cutlery knife until the butter is in small pieces. Use your fingertips to rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs with a few larger pieces of butter. Stir in the sugar and the oats.
- Tip the crumble mixture over the fruit without pressing down. Place on a baking tray to catch any drips, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve Rhubarb Crumble with hot vanilla custard, cream or ice cream.
Lightly grease a 7” round sandwich tin.Weigh the flours and sugar together into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the vanilla essence.Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. You can use a sharp knife to do this, or even a fork, or simply by...