- Grease and line a 19cm (7.5”) round cake tin with double thickness greaseproof paper.
- Weigh all the ingredients into a mixing bowl and beat with a large spoon until well mixed (4-6 mins).
- Place the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth over with the back of a wet spoon.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 140°C/275°F/Gas mark 1 on the middle shelf for approx 3 ½ – 4 hours. Check after 2 hours (as ovens vary). Cover with greaseproof paper or foil for the last hour, to prevent the top of the cake from becoming too brown.
- Test the cake with a skewer (it should come out clean) before removing from the oven to ensure it is correctly baked.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin overnight. Turn out and remove the papers. Wrap in greaseproof paper and foil and store in a cool dry place.
Rub in the margarine and Pure flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.Stir in the sugar, then add the chocolate chips and mix until they are thoroughly coated.Add the vanilla essence and enough water to bind the mix together - be careful, it won’t need...