- Lightly grease a 7” round sandwich tin.
- Weigh the flours and sugar together into a bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the vanilla essence.
- Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. You can use a sharp knife to do this, or even a fork, or simply by hand between thumb and fingers.
- Bring the mixture into a ball using your hands to gently push it together.
- Either roll the dough into a circle to fit your tin, or gently press it into the tin until it is evenly spread.
- Prick the surface all over with a fork.
- Place in the oven at 170°C/340°F until it is lightly browned and firm to touch. (For fan assisted ovens reduce the temperature to 160°C/320°F).
- Using a sharp knife score the shortbread into fingers or triangles and allow to cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
To start making our Vegan Sandwich Loaf, we need to make the egg replacer by mixing the ground flaxseed and 6 tbsp water in a small bowl and leaving it in fridge for 10-15 mins.In a large bowl sift in the flour, xanthan gum, salt, dried yeast, bicarbonate of soda and...