- Grease and line the base of two 7” round sandwich tins and preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F (170°C if using fan-assisted).
- Weigh the butter and sugar into a bowl and briefly cream them together – they don’t need to be pale and fluffy, just well mixed.
- In a separate bowl weigh the flour and add the baking powder and Xanthan gum. Stir these together and sift them.
- Add the three eggs, vanilla extract and the sieved flour into the butter and sugar and mix thoroughly with an electric beater or vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Once the mixture is pale and fully mixed pour it into the prepared tins and place in the oven. When the cakes are well-risen and nicely browned remove them from the oven and run a blade around the edge of the tin to loosen them.
- Turn them onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once cool remove the greaseproof lining and then fill and decorate as required.
To start making our Vegan Sandwich Loaf, we need to make the egg replacer by mixing the ground flaxseed and 6 tbsp water in a small bowl and leaving it in fridge for 10-15 mins.In a large bowl sift in the flour, xanthan gum, salt, dried yeast, bicarbonate of soda and...